*

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Hopes of a nation?

The Editor over here suggests that there may be just a dozen NZers that are not interested in the madness that starts full on in about 5 days. For that he says that he may not use the heading 'carries with it the hopes of a nation', but that 'we're all backing the men in black' .

Well here is number thirteen and know there are more. I have never warmed to this and other similar games by professional thugs where people brutually assault and injure each other, reminding me of blood sports. I often wonder where the injuries sustained during such bouts will leave them in later life and how those long term effects will assault my wallet via future ACC taxes.

I personally have been to less live games than I could count one hand and cannot understand the hype over such mob brutality. I do however, as some ratepayers and taxpayers will be wondering very soon, wonder why we are about to pay dearly, for the ensuing largesse of a professional sport.

And the editor is correct, it is a considerable burden, carried all my adult life that I do not show any interest in the purported 'national' game of thuggery. I have been personally vilified, totally ignored socially and for career promotions because of my stated lack of interest . There are far less brutal, no less popular, sports to watch and support.

1 comment:

Oswald Bastable said...

"...there may be just a dozen NZers that are not interested in the madness that starts full on in about 5 days..."

Another one over here!