*

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Another tax coming our way!

Harry Dunhoyven, Minister of Transport, has been got at yet again by the self promoting Insurance Council through the gang of 20 on the so-called Mayoral Taskforce. The Insurance Council has for years been pushing the third party insurance wheelbarrow at every opportunity to raise their members revenues past the already obscene premiums.

I feel extremely strongly there is no need to acquire such insurance - we are already medically well covered under no-fault ACC and pay handsomely for such cover in our motoring registration tax. If Harry is suggesting that I need to pay an extra premium to cover some other nutters flash car, in the event of me crashing into him, then that is a chance I will take, just like I can take my chances with or without house and contents insurance. I suppose compulsory house and contents insurance will be next thing on the social engineering agenda, so that if a recently paroled thug burns my house to the ground I might be covered - will he have insurance???

Those with the modern cars can make a personal decision to cover their flashy vehicles by whatever manner of insurance they may require, without forcing their costs on me. If I drive recklessly, an accident caused by me could render me liable, but I take my chances in court on that score.

The gang of 20 are supposedly looking to stop boy racers. Now if large numbers of youth can effectively tell each other where the action is, why cannot the Police do the same covertly or otherwise and take more of these racers off the road. Media seem readily able to film the action, but Police do nothing about collaring the players.

Reportedly, so far about 2000 vehicles have been removed from the road - a very small proportion of all vehicles. Should all drivers are to be penalised for the actions of a few with compulsory insurance? I say no. Just another tax if it is ever implemented.

The other hoary old myth about drunk driving getting worse is well documented as Lindsay Mitchell blogs - the numbers do not stack up at 2.9 / 100,000 drivers, down from prevoiusly high levels of 8.5 20 years earlier. There will always be some nutter who wraps himself around a power pole. Sure there might be well publicised media over specific incidents, but will banning drinking in all public places stop drink driving?

The gang of 20 should focus on more relevant and pressing issues, like how to reduce the rampant bureaucracy in their fiefdoms. The Police have the legal tools to arrest, confiscate cars and jail boy racers - they need using forthwith!


No comments: